Wednesday 30 August 2023

The Notion That Measurements Slash Through Entanglements Viewed Through Systemic Functional Linguistics

Penrose (2004: 592):
Recall that I envisaged performing a measurement on an EPR pair, the other member of which was approaching my colleague on the planet Titan. If I make my measurement first, then upon my performing this measurement, this very act would cut my colleague’s particle free of its entanglement with mine, and from then on (until it became measured by my colleague) it would possess a state vector of its own, unencumbered by any further responsibility to its partner, no matter what I might subsequently do to it. Thus, it seems, it is measurements that slash through these entanglements. Can this be true?


Blogger Comments:

From the perspective of Systemic Functional Linguistic Theory, the act of measurement is an act of observation, which is the construal of experience as meaning. In this case, the meaning that is construed is an instance of quantum system potential. Systems of potential are quantified in terms of probability. If probabilities in a system are interdependent ("entangled"), then the (observed) instantiation of variables of one particle depend on the (observed) instantiation of variables of another.


No comments:

Post a Comment